Benefits of Freedom to Read Foundation membership
Why be a member of the Freedom to Read Foundation?
Freedom to Read Foundation members:
Your membership in FTRF
- Help defend the First Amendment in the courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court;
- Support librarians and teachers around the country besieged by attempts to restrict library materials and services;
- Receive the quarterly Freedom to Read Foundation News, which includes articles and timely reports on censorship trends, current court cases, and more;
- Qualify for discounts for upcoming events;
- Have access to member-only content on this site; and
- Vote for and be eligible to run for trustee in the annual board elections.
helps us accomplish these objectives:
- Have a stronger voice in the courts, within the library community, and in the public arena - more members and more resources mean greater visibility for the freedom to read;
- Implement our strategic plan that includes this new, interactive web site; more educational and legal initiatives; and better communication with our members; and
- Increase our organizational capacity to ensure the continued vitality of the Freedom to Read Foundation for many years to come.
Most importantly, as we
continue to monitor and actively participate in court cases at the state and
federal levels, your membership helps ensure our ability to defend free speech. We are particularly concerned about continued threats to our privacy, and of overzealous internet
filters in libraries, which are too often used to create barriers to access constitutionally protected
information. In a free country, access to such information should not be constrained.
As a member of the Freedom to Read
Foundation you do make a difference when the freedoms of access and expression
are at risk.
How to join or renew your membership
Online: Join here. -- Renew here.
By phone: (312) 280-4226 / Toll-free: (800) 545-2433 x4226
By mail: Please send a check payable to Freedom to Read Foundation to:
Freedom to Read Foundation
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
Personal membership levels
$10 Student | $35 Regular | $50 Contributing | $100 Sponsor | $500 Patron | $1,000 Benefactor
Organizational membership levels
$100 Organizational Member | $250 Organizational Sponsor | $500 Organizational Patron | $1,000 Organizational Benefactor
$35 FTRF FTRF News Subscription
To help save paper, FTRF is now offering a (mostly) electronic option to membership. You now have the choice to receive most communication via email, rather than mail. Alternatively, you can choose just to have your copy of the Freedom to Read Foundation News sent electronically.
If you're already a member, sign up for electronic membership and/or newsletter delivery by logging in to your member profile. Once logged in, click on "Manage Profile" in the upper right corner under My Profile. Then click on "Edit Bio" and then scroll down and select either "Newsletter" or "All communication" depending on what level of electronic membership you want.
If you're not yet a member, you can select either form of electronic membership during the registration process.
Note: for some correspondence, including for the FTRF election and late renewal reminders, we will continue to use paper. Also, all members, whether "electronic" or not, will have access to the current issue of FTRF News via their online member profile.